- Governor of Alaska: 2014-2018
- Attorney, private practice: 1978-2014
- Mayor of Valdez, Alaska: 1979-1980
- City attorney for Valdez, Alaska: 1978-1979
- Chairman of the Alaska Gasline Development Corporation: 2013-2014
- President of the Alaska Bar Association: 1999-2000
- Commissioner of the Alaska Department of Administration: 1977-1978
Bill Walker has also served on various boards and committees throughout his career, including the Alaska Federation of Natives, the Prince William Sound Regional Citizens’ Advisory Council, and the Alaska Permanent Fund Corporation. He has received numerous awards and honors for his public service, including the National Governors Association’s Distinguished Service Award in 2018.